The Admission Process
The School of Family Life is responsible for a large undergraduate enrollment, service courses, and two graduate programs (Marriage and Family Therapy and Marriage, Family and Human Development). Therefore, it is necessary to limit the size of the MFHD graduate program. Usually 6-10 students are admitted each year. Students who wish to apply can access an online application for admission through the Graduate Studies website or simply click the Apply Now link.
The application deadline is 12:00 AM EST, January 10th. Candidates are admitted once a year for Fall. Admission decisions are usually announced in March.
Applicants must take the GRE. Applications without a GRE score are incomplete and will not be considered. Please request that ETS send a copy of your GRE scores to the Office of Graduate Studies. For more information about the GRE visit http://www.ets.org/gre/
Step-by-Step Application Guide
- Click the Apply Now link.
- Read all the application instructions.
Start your application.
- Either login or create a new account.
- Answer the use and privancy questions.
- Click on the Start Application button. Applications do not need to be completed in one sitting. You can save and come back to the data you have entered at anytime before submission.
Before filling out the Statement of Intent section, please review the faculty pages on this site.
- Review the faculty research interests and select one or two faculty members that interest you.
- Read, at minimum, the abstract of one article associated with that research area, found on the faculty page. This will help you write a focused, effective Statement of Intent.
- Statements of Intent are preferably around 2 pages in length.
- Include at least three recommenders for your application. Recommenders must submit letters online. Letters should be from people who can make recommendations about academic potential. Letters from friends, family members or ecclesiastical leaders are unacceptable.
Please consult the Application page at the Graduate Studies website